Double Cropping Provisions

Receipt of Full Indemnity for Double Cropping

Policy provision provides a farmer may receive a full indemnity for two or more crops planted for harvest on the same acreage in the same crop year if records of planted acreage and harvested production for the first and second crop is showing double-cropped acreage for at least two (2) of the last four (4) years in which the first insured crop was planted or shows the applicable acreage was double-cropped in at least two (2) of the last four (4) crop years in which the first insured crop was grown.

There are two ways the producer can prove double-cropping:

  1. Your farm records of acreage and actual production or
  2. if the land was double-cropped by another producer but being farmed by you in the current crop year, the other producer’s records can be used

Acceptable Records

Acceptable records that may be used to support double-cropping history may include but not limited to one of the following:

  • Elevator ledger sheets, weight tickets showing the amount of production from double-cropped acreage. If using farm management or trucking records, producers can designate which loads were from double-cropped acreage. If production for both double-cropped and single-cropped acreage is on the same ledger, should be designated on the ledger sheet which crop is applicable – double-crop or single-crop
  • Crop insurance records, including records used for actual production history, claims, appraisals, bin measurements, etc. which show which acreage and production was double cropped. ( Please call the office , we may have all or part of the documentation needed)
  • FSA documents, such as maps, bin measurements or FSA-578 Producer Prints which show the amount of production or acres that were double-cropped
  • Records from yield monitors or another precision farming equipment

The requirement for you to provide records of acreage and actual production history demonstrating you have double-cropped in the past is to assure you are in compliance with the provision allowing you to have crop indemnities paid on the same acreage. It is important that your records of production for double-cropping be separate from that which is not double-cropped.

A full indemnity payment on both crops that are double cropped is limited to the number of acres for which you can demonstrate you have double cropped. The maximum number of acres that have been double cropped in at least 2 of the last 4 years the first crop was planted and the lesser of those 2 years would qualify the number of acres for full indemnity payments on both insure crops.

If You Do Not Provide or Have Qualifying Double Crop Acres:

  • Do not plant a second crop or plant a second crop and do not insure that crop: you can receive 100% of first crop indemnity (if you opt out of the second crop coverage, the production records must be kept separate and are not used in your data base) Check with the FSA if you elect not to insure the second crop concerning any linkage requirements for FSA programs.
  • Take 35% of the indemnity on first crop, insure the second crop: if there is no loss on the second crop then you receive the remaining 65% indemnity on the first crop. If you have a loss on the second crop receive, you receive 100% coverage on the second crop. The premium on the first crop will be reduced to 35% if indemnity is reduced to 35%.
  • If all acres do not qualify: you will receive 100% of the indemnity on the qualified acres and 35% of the indemnity on the unqualified acres on the first crop. If you insure the second crop, keep all double cropped production separate. If there is no loss on the second crop you can receive the remaining 65% of indemnity.

Please be sure to understand all your options before signing a claim for indemnity.

Qualifying Acres Examples

  • Crop Yr 2023 Planted 200 Acres
  • Both Examples Below Planted & Harvested 1st & 2nd Crop
  • Objective is to Qualify the 200 acres for the first crop full indemnity
Example 1Example 2
2019 = 205 acres ✓
2020 = 0 acres
2021 = 210 acres ✓
2022 = 150 acres
2019 = 180 acres ✓
2020 = 0 acres
2021 = 181 acres ✓
2022 = 150 acres
Qualify for 200 acres of full indemnityOnly Qualify for 180 acres full indemnity and 20 acres limited to 35% rule
✓ = years used to qualify